Due to the impending passage of Hurricane Maria and to ensure everyone's safety,we request all visitors postpone scheduled visits to our islands. Please continue to check with your travel agent, airline and accommodation providers regarding cancellation and rebooking policies. Thank you for your understanding. For further information go to www.usviupdate.com.
Book a Trip
March 31st 2017 will mark the 100th year anniversary of the Danish West Indies becoming the Virgin Islands of the United States. The history from before and after that Transfer Day is still very much alive, waiting for you.
Here’s why you want to be part of our Centennial Commemoration:
100 Years of History
During the Transfer Centennial, we will highlight many significant historical accomplishments of the last 100 years such as the naturalization of the residents of the former Danish West Indies and the ability to elect our own Governor and write our own Constitution, just to name a few. Countless milestones have occurred over the last 100 years since the Transfer from Danish to American rule.
Centennial Observances Galore
This territory-wide, multi-year observance features events and activities that will include parades, lectures, concerts, cultural exhibitions and festivals featuring local art, dance, music and food. Both residents and visitors can experience the unique and diverse characteristics of the U.S. Virgin Islands’ natural, cultural and social history during our Centennial Commemoration.
Embracing our Danish Roots
Our recent partnership with Norwegian Airlines offers a weekly direct flight from Copenhagen, Denmark to St. Croix starting in November 2016. Between the Danish cemeteries, the forts and the ruins of former sugar plantations, we can introduce more Danish people to a part of their history that they’re unacquainted with.
100 Years to Commemorate and Centuries More to Be Discovered
- 15 Things You Might Not Know About the U.S. Virgin Islands
- 7 Places Every History Buff Should Visit on the U.S. Virgin Islands
- 13 Incredible Facts About the U.S. Virgin Islands 100 Years Ago
- 6 U.S. Virgin Islands Traditions You'll Want to Adopt
- 7 Historic Beaches Worth a Visit on the U.S. Virgin Islands
- 10 Pieces of U.S. Virgin Islands Slang You Should Be Using
- 9 Historic Figures With Ties to the U.S. Virgin Islands
- 8 Ways to Commemorate the U.S. Virgin Islands' Transfer Day (Wherever You Are in the World)